I will never forget the first time I saw her. I was a new student at Moody Bible Institute and was led to a church in the western suburbs of Chicago (Grace Church of DuPage). I remember being there the week before most of the other college students were back from school. I remember visiting this church with a friend of mine, Caleb Mitchell. I also remember a young lady with really short hair singing as part of the worship team for the college ministry. She was wearing a dark navy dress with white dots (how am I doing so far). I also remember leaving and telling my friend that I was really impressed and drawn to her because of how she worshipped during the music time, or at least appeared to worship.
Well, it was just a matter of weeks and it seemed like our paths crossed every Sunday. I am not the sort of person that likes being forced into something and everytime I was at church, I felt like everyone was forcing me to date Monique (many stories about that). In response to that, I withdrew and tried to stay away from her. She was nice, but because everyone wanted us to date, I didn't want too.
The good part of the story is that eventually I saw the light. We spent three years being friends and then after I graduated Moody, I finally asked her out on a date. We were married about a year later. It has now been 12 years and each year it gets better and better. I can honestly say that our marriage is great because she is a godly woman!
Let me end with a list of the things I love about my wife. Don't read into these, they are just off the top of my head and certainly do not encompass all there is to say about her. As well, they are not in any particular order.
- She is forgiving of my mistakes
- She now has longer hair
- She has an incredible heart to serve others
- She is the best mom that I know (my mom is a very close 2nd--probably 1a & 1b, you know what I mean)
- She is so very forgiving of my mistakes
- She laughs at all my jokes. I thought it was just to impress me when we are dating, but I sort of like it these days
- She has a beautiful smile
- She is older than I am (that just means more wisdom)
- She supports me in anything I want to do
- She sacrifices for me everyday
- She is musically gifted (essential for every pastor's wife)
- She is so very forgiving of all my mistakes
- She is a good cook
- She really takes an interest in young mothers and is eager to share with them the mistakes she has learned
- She is fairly organized
- She is willing to be shepherded and challenged in the faith
- She loves the sports teams I love (essential part of marriage)
- She gives me time with the guys or by myself
- She is better looking today than the day we married
- She is so very forgiving of all my mistakes I make all the time!