It is hard to summarize a 500 page book into a few sentences, so let me give you what is on the back cover: "Bruce Demarest has made plain God's glorious plan of salvation his provision for the human dilemma through Christ's work on the cross, and the application of saving grace to unbelievers. Demarest's unique approach defines each topic, identifies its most pressing issues, examines the ways in which the doctrine has been understood historically, and interprets the Bible's revelation. The result is a clear and carefully constructed doctrinal statement that you can defend, live out, and communicate to others."
There is no way that I could do a blog post justice on this book. So, let me simply give you the basic outline and what doctrine is talked about in each chapter. Here you go. It is a hearty task, but one that will pay unbelievable dividends in your life if you were to read this book. I promise you, the fruit you will experience will be well worth the journey.
- Chapter 1: "What Must I Do To Be Saved?" (Introduction to the doctrine of salvation)
- Chapter 2: "While We Were Still Sinners" (Grace)
- Chapter 3: "Jacob I Loved" (Election)
- Chapter 4: "Christ Died For Sins Once For All" (The Atonement)
- Chapter 5: "Called According To His Purpose" (Divine Calling)
- Chapter 6: "Repent and Believe the Good News!" (Conversion)
- Chapter 7: "Unless a Man is Born Again" (Regeneration)
- Chapter 8: "Christ Lives in Me" (Union with Christ)
- Chapter 9: "The Lord Our Righteousness" (Justification)
- Chapter 10: "Transformed into His Likeness" (Sanctification)
- Chapter 11: "Protected by the Power of God" (Preservation & Perseverance)
- Chapter 12: "Those He Justified, He also Glorified" (Glorification)
I love this entire book, but probably chapter 9 is my favorite! Enter with fear and trepidation if you dare!